"Hammerwich Church (St John) is a very ancient structure, standing on a verdant eminence. The perpetual curacy is in the patronage of eight Trustees, and incumbency of the Rev R Errington, jun, of Burntwood. "
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The church was rebuilt in 1873, in stone, in the Early English style and consists of a chancel, nave of three bays, north aisle, west porch and an embattled western tower with spire, containing a clock and bell. A vestry was added in 1883.