Towns & Parishes
"Hammerwich is a village, township, and chapelry (of Lichfield), on the south-eastern verge of Cannock Chase, three miles SW by W of Lichfield. It has a station on the South Staffordshire Railway, and contains 239 inhabitants, and 1000 acres of enclosed land, and upwards of 900 acres of open common in Cannock Chase.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The Marquis of Anglesey is lord of the manor, but the enclosed lands belong to about a dozen freeholders, most of whom are residents. In 1850, the Marquis opened a colliery here, and extended to it a branch from the canal."
Hammerwich formed a chapelry and Out-township to Lichfield and details can be found on the Lichfield page.
A full transcript and surname index of the 1851 census for Hammerwich is included in the 1851 Staffordshire Census Index Vol 11, Part 1, Lichfield, Cathedral Close and surrounding villages which has been published by the Birmingham and Midland SGH.
"Hammerwich Church (St John) is a very ancient structure, standing on a verdant eminence. The perpetual curacy is in the patronage of eight Trustees, and incumbency of the Rev R Errington, jun, of Burntwood. "
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The church was rebuilt in 1873, in stone, in the Early English style and consists of a chancel, nave of three bays, north aisle, west porch and an embattled western tower with spire, containing a clock and bell. A vestry was added in 1883.
Church of England Registers
The register of St John commences in 1724. The original registers for the period 1724-1970 (Bapts), 1724-1967 (Mar) & 1724-1950 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1727-1865 (with gaps 1735-38 & 1743-44) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A transcript of the registers of St John, Hammerwich for the period 1724-1812 has been published by Burntwood Family History Group.
A transcription of the section on Hammerwich from A Topographical History of Staffordshire by William Pitt (1817)
Hammerwich chapelry became part of Lichfield Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 26th August 2014, Mike Harbach. © 1999 - 2014]