Towns & Parishes
"Hanbury is a small but pleasant village, upon a lofty eminence, overlooking the vale of the Dove, seven miles NW by W of Burton-upon-Trent, and the same distance SE by E of Uttoxeter, to the north of which are seen the moorlands and picturesque hills of Derbyshire. The parish of Hanbury is a very extensive district, being upwards of five miles square, and including the north end of Needwood Forest, and ten villages and hamlets, divided into five townships, viz, Hanbury, Newborough, Marchington, Marchington-Woodlands, and Draycott-in-the-Clay. The whole parish comprises 2483 inhabitants, and about 13,600 acres of land. HCM Ingram, Esq, is lord of Agardsley and Marchington manors, and has a paramount juristiction over the whole parish, but there are several mense lords, and among the principal land owners are Richard Greene, Esq, Mrs Adderley, Thomas Webb, John Bott, and Thomas K Hall, Esqs, and Lord Vernon.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Hanbury, the capital of the parish, has only about 1600 acres, and 114 souls. It is a place of great antiquity. In the year 680, the Saxon princess, St Werburgh, became abbess of a nunnery founded here by her brother Ethelred, King of Mercia. The Manor House, sometimes called the Rectory, is the seat of Richard Greene, Esq. It commands an extensive prospect, and was anciently the seat of the Hanbury family.
Hanbury-Woodend is a hamlet of scattered houses, near the eastern side of Hanbury, and contains 311 souls and 410 acres of land, mostly belonging to Captain Tennant.
Coton, one mile NW of Hanbury, is a small village generally called Coton-under-Needwood, to distinguish it from other places of the same name. It has 72 souls, and 770 acres. Mrs Adderley is lady of the manor, but the Hall, a neat rural mansion erected in 1790, is occupied by John Bott, Esq.
Faulde, or Felde, is a hamlet of 56 souls, and 860 acres, partly on a romantic terrace in Dovedale, one mile NE of Hanbury, where great quantities of white and variegated alabaster, or gypsum, are got at a considerable depth below the surface, for the use of china, earthenware, and Derbyshire spar manufacturers, who use it for making moulds, etc. Some of the farmers have cheese presses made of this heavy and beautiful stone. Mr Thomas Browne is lord of the manor. The ancient hall is now a farm house.
Draycott, or Draycott-under-Needwood, is a scattered village on the Lichfield and Sudbury road, one mile W by N of Hanbury. Its township includes the hamlets of Moreton and Stubby Lane, about a mile to the NW, and contains altogether 431 souls and 1780 acres. The manor was included in the Conqueror's gift to Henry de Ferrers, and has for many ages been possessed by the noble family of Vernon. In a meadow beyond Draycott Mill are the ruins of an ancient mansion surrounded by a moat.
The township of Marchington formed a chapelry to Hanbury parish and details can be found on the Marchington parish page.
The township of Newborough formed a chapelry to Hanbury parish and details can be found on the Newborough parish page."
The population of Hanbury parish (including chapelries) was as follows:
1801 -- 1591
1831 -- 2160
1841 -- 2483
"The parish church, St Werburgh, was founded long before the Norman Conquest, and was anciently a rectory attached to the nunnery. It stands on the edge of a steep declivity, near the northern extremity of Needwood Forest, and was repaired, and the tower and south aisle rebuilt, in 1824.
The Bishop of Lichfield is patron of the vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. James Riddell, MA.
In Hanbury there is a Wesleyan Chapel, erected in 1833, and another at Draycott, erected in 1828."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
Church of England Registers
The parish register of the parish church of St Werburgh commences in 1574. The original registers for the period 1574-1864 (Bapts), 1574-1837 (Mar) & 1574-1881 (Bur), and Banns for the period 1823-1964 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1661-1856 (with gaps 1735-37) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
Paul Jones has produced the following Tithe Map & Apportionments Indexes in the Parish of Hanbury:
1839 Index of Tithable Lands in Draycott-in-the-Clay, Stubby Lane and Moreton sorted by Occupier.
1848 Index of Tithable Lands in Fauld sorted by Occupier.
1839 Index of Tithable Lands in Hanbury Township sorted by Occupier.
Hanbury, Hanbury-Woodend, Coton and Faulde became part of Burton-upon-Trent Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
Draycott-in-the-Clay, Marchington, Marchington-Woodlands and Newborough became part of Uttoxeter Union.
[Last updated: 28nd August 2010, Mike Harbach. © 1998 - 2010]