"Hanley Church, St John, stands in a spacious cemetery, and is a large brick edifice, with a tower 100 feet high, containing a peal of eight bells. It was erected in 1788, on the site of a small chapel built in 1764. The perpetual curacy is in the patronage of 27 trustees, and incumbency of the Rev GF Whidborne, MA. The late Rev Robert Ellis Aitkins held the benefice from 1802 to 1849.
Shelton Church, St Mark, is a large and elegant stone fabric in the Early English style of architecture, finished in 1834, with a handsome tower 40 yards high. The rectory is in the patronage of Captain Gillmor, and incumbency of the Rev FB Grant, MA.
Etruria and Hope are two new district parishes, which have recently been formed out of Shelton, for ecclesiastical purposes.
Hope Church, Trinity, was built in 1848-9, in the Anglo-Saxon style. It stands in Sackville Street, near Hope Street, and its district comprises the poorest part of the town. The perpetual curacy is in the patronage of the Crown and Bishop alternately, and incumbency of the Rev Samuel Fisher, BA.
Etruria Church, St Matthew, is a small neat structure of Early English architecture, built in 1848-9. The perpetual curacy is in the patronage of the Crown and Bishop alternately, and incumbency of the Rev Henry Wynter.
Northwood and Wellington Church districts have lately been formed out of Hanley.
Northwood Church, Trinity, is at Upper Hanley, and was erected in1848, in the Early English style. The perpetual curacy is in the alternate patronage of the Crown and Bishop, and incumbency of the Rev CB Jackson, MA.
Wellington Church, St Luke, is to be built in 1851-2, near Well Street, and the incumbent now performs divine service in a small temporary church. The perpetual curacy is in the alternate patronage of the Crown and Bishop, and incumbency of the Rev WH Wright, BA.
There are 12 dissenting chapels in the town and suburbs of Hanley and Shelton.
The Baptists have a small old chapel in New Street.
The Presbyterian Church, in Sackville Street, was built in 1824, by Independents, who, in 1846, connected themselves with the English Presbyterian Synod, under the ministry of the Rev JM Martyn. The Independent Chapel, in High Street, called the Tabernacle, was built in 1784, and is under the ministry of the Rev John Edwards.
The Independent Chapel, in Hope Street, is handsomely fitted up with oak pews and was built in 1812. The Rev R Macbeth is its pastor.
The Wesleyan Chapel, in Oldhall Street, is a large brick building, erected in 1819, and the Wesleyans have a smaller chapel at Etruria.
The New Connexion Methodists have five chapels here, in Upper Hanley, Albion Street, Russell Street, Joiner's Square, and Etruria. That in Albion Street is called Bethesda Chapel, erected in 1798, and enlarged in 1819, so that it now has 2000 sittings and a spacious burial ground. That in Upper Hanley is called Providence Chapel, and is the handsomest in the Potteries.
The Primitive Methodists have a chapel in Etruria Road."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]