Towns & Parishes
"Harborne, or Harborn, is a pleasant rural village, picturesquely situated about four miles SW of Birmingham. It has many neat houses, and its parish contains about 4000 acres of land, forming that southern tongue of Offlow Hundred, which is nearly encompassed by Warwickshire, Worcestershire and Salop. The populous iron and glass manufacturing village and district of Smethwick forms the northern division of the parish.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Harborne forms the southern division of the parish, and belongs to the Rev TG Simcox, Mr Price, and a number of smaller proprietors. Mr Simcox is lord of the manor.
Smethwick was a chapelry to Harborne and details can be found on the Smethwick page.
'Harborne and its Surroundings'
by James Kenwood, FSA
Published 1872, by M Billing, Son, & Co, Birmingham.
Second Edition published 1885, Cornish Bros, Birmingham
'The History of Harborne Hall'
by Frances Wilmot
Published 1991, by Meridian, Warley.
'An Account of Harborne from Earliest Times to 1891'
by Donald Wright
Published 1981, by Birmingham Public Libraries.
'Harborne and Smethwick Tithe Apportionment, 1839-1843.
Transcription & Triple Index'
by AC & D Guest
Published 1988, by Eusebeia, Warley.
'From Chapel to Church. 150 Years of Methodism in Harborne'
by Martin W Allen
Published 1989, by MW Allen.
by Victor J Price
Published 1994, by Brewin, Studley.
'Old Harborne (The Old Photographs Series)'
by Roy Clarke
Published 1994, by Chalford, Stroud, Gloucestershire.
'The Crowning Glory. Harborne Cricket Club, 1868-1996'
by Alan Wild
Published 1999, by Harborne Cricket Club, Harborne.
The population of Harborne parish (including Smethwick chapelry) was as follows:
1801 -- 2275
1821 -- 3350
1831 -- 4227
1841 -- 6657
1851 -- 10729
A full transcript of the 1851 census of Harborne has been published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH. (Listed under Warwickshire).
"Harborne Church, St Peter, was repaired and enlarged in 1827, and has a tower with six bells. The vicarage is in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield, and the Hon & Rev WT Law, MA, is the incumbent."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Church of England Registers
The register of the parish church of St Peter commences in 1538. The original registers for the period 1538-1954 and Banns for the period 1797-1840 are deposited at Birmingham Reference Library. Harborne parish was transferred from Staffordshire to Warwickshire in 1891
Bishops Transcripts, 1660-1856 (with gaps 1667-71, 1838-49 & 1852-55) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A map showing the pre-1850 boundaries of Harborne Parish
Harborne parish became part of King's Norton Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 6th September 2011, Mike Harbach. ©1999 - 2011]