Towns & Parishes
"Harlaston is a village and township, pleasantly seated on an eminence, south of the river Mease, four miles N of Tamworth, and two and a half miles W of Clifton Campville, to which it was a chapelry untill 1845 and in whose parish it was situated. It has 221 inhabitants, and about 1400 acres of land. Captain Theophilus Levett and W Chettle, Esq are lords of the manor, but a great part of the soil belongs to Sir Robert Burdett, Bart, and Viscount Chetwynd.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
A transcription of the Monumental Inscriptions of the church of St Matthew, Harlaston, has been published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
The population of Harlaston chapelry was as follows:
1801 -- 160
1831 -- 218
1841 -- 221
"The church (St Matthew) is an old brick edifice, with an old wooden tower. The nave was rebuilt and repewed with oak about 25 years ago. As stated, it was a chapelry until 1845. The newly constituted rectory is in the patronage of HJ Pye, Esq and incumbency of the Rev RR Bloxham, MA."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
St Matthew, Harlaston, was a chapelry of Clifton Campville parish, details of which can be found on the Clifton Campville parish page.
Church of England Registers
The register of St Matthew commences in 1693. The original registers for the period 1693-1797 & 1813-1913 (Bapts), 1695-1967 (Mar) & 1741-1793 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office. There is an account of an earlier register existing in the diocesan registry at Lichfield but its present whereabouts are unknown.
Bishops Transcripts for the period 1679-1870 (with many gaps) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
Harlaston was part of Clifton Campville parish which became part of Tamworth Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 29th May 2000, Mike Harbach. © 1998, 2000]