Towns & Parishes
"Haughton, is a pleasant rural village, of detached houses, on the Newport road, one mile S of Haughton Railway Station, and four miles WSW of Stafford, comprising within its parish 480 inhabitants, and about 2100 acres of land, which belongs to several proprietors, but Francis Eld, Esq, is lord of the manor. "[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The population of Haughton parish was as follows:
1801 -- 437
1831 -- 490
1841 -- 480
"Haughton Church, St Giles, is a neat edifice of brick, except the ancient tower, which is of stone. It has lately been much improved, and the south transept and chancel rebuilt by the rector. The rectory is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev CS Royds, MA."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
A view of St Giles Church (1).
A view of St Giles Church (2).
Church of England Registers
The register of St Giles commences in 1570. The original registers for the period 1570-1865 (Bapts), 1570-1835 (Mar) & 1570-1907 (Bur), and Banns for the period 1824-1903, are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts for the period 1659-1878 (with gaps 1856, 1861, 1875) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A transcript of the register for the period 1570-1812 was published by the Staffordshire Parish Register Society in 1902, and has been reprinted by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
Haughton parish became part of Stafford Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 19th July 2002, Mike Harbach. © 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002]