"Himley is a pleasant village and parish, delightfully situated on the Stourbridge road, five miles S by W of Wolverhampton. It has 409 inhabitants, and 1200 acres of land, and its grand object of attraction is Himley Hall and Park, the splendid seat of the Right Hon William Ward, Baron Ward. The hall is a noble structure, situated in the midst of the rich and extensive park, which abounds with deer, and has a magnificent sheet of water. This seat was greatly improved by the father of the late Earl Dudley, in whose lifetime it was frequently the scene of rejoicing and festivity upon public occasions. The kings escape from assassination, in 1786, and several of our naval victories, were celebrated here by illuminations and fireworks. He was the third Viscount Dudley and Ward, and died in 1823, when he was succeeded by his son, John William Ward, who, in 1827, was created Earl of Dudley, but dying without issue in 1833, that title became extinct, and that of Baron Ward descended to the father of the present Lord Ward, who died in 1835. His lordship was born in 1817, and his brother, the Hon Humble Dudley Ward, was born in 1821 and is heir presumptive. Lord Ward owns most of the land in this parish, and is lord of the manors of Himley, Kingswinford, Rowley Regis, etc. The beautiful and extensive wood called Baggeridge, adjoins the park, and is well stocked with pheasant. " [From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The population of Himley parish was as follows: 1801 -- 267 1811 -- 341 1821 -- 379 1831 -- 421 1841 -- 409
A surname index of the 1851 census of Himley parish is included in the Staffordshire 1851 Census Surname index, Volume 13, Wolverhampton, published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
"Himley Church, dedicated to St Michael, stands near the Hall, and is a neat brick fabric, erected in 1764, by the first Lord Dudley and Ward. The living is a rectory is in the patronage of Lord Ward, and incumbency of the Rev Edward Davies, MA."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
Church of England Registers The register of St Michael commences in 1665. The original registers for the period 1668-1882 (Bapts), 1670-1838 (Mar) & 1668-1812 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office. Bishops Transcripts for the period 1664-1885 (with many gaps) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office. A transcript of the register for the period 1665-1812 was published by the Staffordshire Parish Register Society in 1969 and has been reprinted by the Birmingham & Midland SGH. A transcript of the register for the period 1813-1837 has been published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH (in a compilation including Armitage, Blymhill, Weston and Coppenhall).