"Hints is a small village delightfully situated on the side of a lofty eminence, that rises on the north side of the river Bourn, five miles SSE of Lichfield. Its parish contains 213 inhabitants, and 1570 acres of land, of which 200 acres belong to Lord Wenlock, and the remainder to the lord of the manor, William Humberstone Cowley Floyer, Esq. The village stands on the Roman Watling Street, and near the church is a large tumulus, supposed to be of Roman construction. In 1792, some labourers, in digging on Hints Common, found a pig of lead weighing 150 lbs, and bearing the following inscription, in basso relievo, 'IMP. VESP. VII. T. IMP. V. COS.', which plainly refers to the year of Christ 76, when Vespasian and Titus were consuls."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]