Towns & Parishes
"Hints is a small village delightfully situated on the side of a lofty eminence, that rises on the north side of the river Bourn, five miles SSE of Lichfield. Its parish contains 213 inhabitants, and 1570 acres of land, of which 200 acres belong to Lord Wenlock, and the remainder to the lord of the manor, William Humberstone Cowley Floyer, Esq. The village stands on the Roman Watling Street, and near the church is a large tumulus, supposed to be of Roman construction. In 1792, some labourers, in digging on Hints Common, found a pig of lead weighing 150 lbs, and bearing the following inscription, in basso relievo, 'IMP. VESP. VII. T. IMP. V. COS.', which plainly refers to the year of Christ 76, when Vespasian and Titus were consuls."[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The population of Hints parish was as follows:
1801 -- 245
1831 -- 225
1841 -- 213
"Hints Church, (St Bartholomew), is a small modern structure of Grecian architecture, and, from its lofty situation, is a very picturesque object in the scenery of this romantic vale. It has several monuments of the Floyers, who have held the manor for more than two centuries. The living is a perpetual curacy, consolidated with that of Weeford, in the patronage of the Bishop of Lichfield, and incumbency of the Rev Robert Cowpland, MA, of Weeford"
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Church of England Registers
The register of St Bartholomew commences in 1559. The original registers for the period 1559-1948 (Bapts), 1559-1937 (Mar), & 1557-1812 (Bur), are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office. Burial registers for the period 1813-date remain with the incumbent.
Bishops Transcripts for the period 1659-1828 (with gaps 1792-95) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A transcript of the register for the period 1558-1812 was published by the Staffordshire Parish Register Society in 1910, and has been reprinted by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
Hints Village pages include photographs and description of the village and a history of the parish church.
A transcription of the section on Hints from A Topographical History of Staffordshire by William Pitt (1817)
A map showing the pre-1850 boundaries of Hints Parish
Hints parish became part of Tamworth Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 14th August 2014, Mike Harbach. © 1998 - 2014]