Towns & Parishes
"Hopwas Hays, three miles WNW of Tamworth, is a wood of 373 acres, forming an extra-parochial eminence, with a house upon its summit, occupied by John Wood, the gamekeeper. It is the sole property of John Levett, Esq, of Wichnor, and near the skirts of the wood is the hamlet of Hopwas, which belongs to Tamworth parish.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
At an early period it was given to the Bishop of Lichfield, for the purpose of supplying stone for the reparation of his cathedral."
The population of Hopwas Hays extra-parochial district was as follows:
1801 -- 3
1831 -- 2
1841 -- 4
A transcription of the section on Hopwas Hays and Hopwas village from A Topographical History of Staffordshire by William Pitt (1817)
Hopwas Hay, which has also been known as Hopwas Hayes, was in existance by 1222 and remained the property of the Crown until c1550, eventually becoming an extra-parochial district. In 1934 it lost its separate civil identity and became part of Wigginton civil parish, and in 1967 lost its separate extra-parochial status, becoming part of Whittington ecclesiastical parish.
In 1834 it was owned by the Rev Thomas Levett, and the house was occupied by Joseph Tomlinson, the woodman.
NB- The village of Hopwas was in Tamworth parish and not a part of Hopwas Hay extra-parochial district.
[Last updated: 25th August 2014, Mike Harbach. © 1998 - 2014]