"Horton is a small village on an eminence, three miles WNW of Leek, comprising within its parish the two townships of Horton with Horton-Hay, and Blackwood-with-Crowborough, which support their poor conjointly, and comprise 4860 acres and 967 souls. The common or Hay was enclosed about 1815, and has a thin, black and meagre soil. The manor of Horton includes the whole parish and also Rushton-James, Bagnall, Endon, Longsdon and Stanley. Gibbs Crawford Antrobus, Esq, is the lord of the manor, and holds a Court Leet on the Thursday before the wake, which is on the nearest Sunday to Old Michaelmas day. Horton Hall, the property of Mrs Watt, is an ancient stone mansion, occupied by J Gaunt, Esq. Miss Bostock, J Challenor, Esq, and many smaller owners, have estates here. On the eastern side of the parish is Rudyard Station and Hotel, on the Churnet Valley line, near the south end of Rudyard Lake. Blackwood and Crowborough are two hamlets, from one to two miles W of Horton, and near them is the hamlet of Gratton." [From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
'The Reades of Blackwood Hill in the Parish of Horton, Staffordshire. A Record of Their Descendents, with a full description of Dr Johnson's Ancestry His Kinsfolk and Family Connexions.' by Aleyn Lyell Reade Published 1906, by AL Reade, London.
"Horton Church, St Michael, is an ancient fabric, and the benefice is a perpetual curacy, in the incumbency of the Rev William Forster, BA, and patronage of GC Antrobus, Esq. The parish has a Wesleyan and two small Primitive Methodist Chapels." [From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Church of England Registers The parish register of the parish church of St Michael commences in 1653. The original registers for the period 1653-1980 (Bapts), 1653-1992 (Mar) & 1653-1966 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office. Bishops Transcripts, 1673-1872 (with many gaps) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.