Open a form to report problems or contribute information
"Seisdon, the smallest, but one of the most populous Hundreds of Staffordshire, forms the south-western portion of the county, bounded on the west by Shropshire, on the east by Offlow Hundred, and on the south by Worcestershire. It has its name from the hamlet of Seisdon, near Trysull, and is intersected by railways from Birmingham, Dudley, Stafford, etc, and by the Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal, which has numerous branches to Dudley, Walsall, Birmingham, and other places. It is rich in these mineral treasures, coal, ironstone, lime, and freestone, and is celebrated for its extensive mines and iron works, and for the manufacture of locks, bolts, hinges, trays, steel toys, and a great variety of other articles in iron, steel, and other metals. Its south-eastern limits also partake in the bustle and prosperity created by the extensive glass works, etc, in the vicinity of Dudley and Stourbridge (Worcestershire). Wolverhampton, the largest town in the county, may be called the capital of this populous Hundred, which presents a great diversity of soil and scenery, and contains many populous villages, etc, and 18 parishes. It is divided into North and South Divisions, and is all in the Southern Parliamentary Division of Staffordshire. Colonel Hogg, of Wolverhampton, is Chief Constable for the North Division, and Mr Roberts, of Kingswinford, for the South Division."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]