Towns & Parishes
"Kings Bromley, or Bromley Regis, is a well built village on the south bank of the Trent, five miles N of Lichfield, comprising within its parish 3463 acres of land, and 704 inhabitants. The manor was anciently called Brom Legge, and derived its present name from the circumstances of its being the property of the Crown for nearly two centuries after the Norman conquest, previous to which it had been distinguished as the residence of the Earls of Mercia. Leofric, the husband of the famous Lady Godiva, died here in 1057. Henry III granted the manor to the Corbets, who sold it, in 1569, to Francis Agard, of Ireland. About 1670 it was sold by Charles Agard to John Newton, of the island of Barbados, and in 1794 it was bequeathed by Sarah Newton to her cousins, John & Thomas Lane, Esqrs. The Earl of Lichfield, Mrs Owen, and Mr G Warner, have estates in the parish, but the principal owner and present lord of the manor is John Newton Lane, Esq, who resides at Bromley Hall, called the Manor, which is a handsome mansion, surrounded by an extensive park.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Bromley Wharf, on the Trent and Mersey Canal, one and a half miles S, and Woodend, two miles S of Kings Bromley, are two hamlets in this parish, which also includes Aston Hay, The Shaws, and several scattered farmhouses."
'Kings Bromley, Staffordshire. A History of the Church and Village'
by Norman Percy Stevens
Published 1953, by Lomax's Successors, Lichfield.
'Lanes of Bentley Hall, now of Kings Bromley Manor, Co Stafford'
by Henry Murray Lane
Published 1898, by Elliot Stock, London.
Monumental Inscriptions for Kings Bromley, All Saints, have been transcribed and published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
The population of Kings Bromley parish was as follows:
1801 -- 454
1831 -- 629
1841 -- 704
A full transcript of the 1851 census for Kings Bromley parish is included in the Lichfield, Part 2, Volume II, census transcript published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
"The Parish Church, dedicated to All Saints, is a fine Gothic building, containing several monuments to the families of Agard, Newton and Lane. It was originally in the Norman style, but it has been enlarged and repaired in various styles. It has a tower and five bells, and some fine specimens of stained glass in its windows.
The perpetual curacy is in the patronage of the Chancellor of Lichfield Cathedral, as Prebendary of Alrewas & Weeford, and incumbency of the Rev John Hinckley, BA, of Sheriff Hayles, for whom the Rev DC Moore officiates.
Here is a Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1839, and a Primitive Methodist Chapel, erected in 1836."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Church of England Registers
The surviving parish register of the parish church of All Saints commences in 1673. The original registers for the period 1673-1852 (Bapts), 1673-1984 (Mar) & 1673-1961 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1632-1869 (with gaps 1632-63, 1666-68, 1672-75, 1678-84 & 1710-11) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
The parish became part of Lichfield Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 29th May 2000, Mike Harbach. ©1998, 1999, 2000