"Kingsley is an irregularly built village, on an eminence, two and a half miles N of Cheadle, comprising within its parish the manors and united townships of Kingsley and Whiston, the former having 2510 acres, and 873 souls, and the latter 2780 acres, and 681 souls. The soil belongs to a number of proprietors, the largest of whom is James Beech, Esq, of Brandon near Coventry, who is lord of the manor of Kingsley, and has a handsome seat here called The Shaw, now unoccupied. The wake is on the first Sunday after Midsummer. Whiston is a scattered village, four miles NE of Cheadle. In this township are a few pits of small coal; the large brass and copper works of J Keys & Son; Whiston-Eaves, a hamlet nearly a mile S of Whiston; and Froghall, two and a half miles N by E of Cheadle, where there is a station on the Churnet Valley Railway, opened in 1849. A wharf on the canal, from hence to Uttoxeter, is closed and partly filled up and converted into the railway. The Railway Company have extensive limestone works at Froghall, for supplying the iron districts, as well as large kilns for supplying the neighbourhood with lime. A tram road was extended many years ago from the extensive limestone quarries of Cauldon Lowe to Froghall, which latter is partly in Ipstones parish, and has a paint and colour manufactory and a corn mill. Whiston also includes part of Oakamoor, most of which is in Cheadle parish" [From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The population of Kingsley parish was as follows: 1801 -- 973 1831 -- 1416 1841 -- 1554
"Kingsley Church, St Werburgh, is a plain structure, in the Early English style, which was rebuilt, except the tower, in 1821. The rectory is in the patronage of James Beech, Esq, and incumbency of the Rev John Wood, of Swanwick. The Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists have small chapels here." [From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Church of England Registers The parish register of the parish church of St Werburgh commences in 1561. The original registers for the period 1561-1938 (Bapts), 1561-1931 (Mar) & 1561-1945 (Bur), and Banns for the period 1754-1782, 1813-1818 & 1824-1839 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office. Bishops Transcripts, 1632-1869 (with gaps 1679-82, 1687-89, & Marriages 1773-76) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office. A transcript of the registers for the period 1561-1795 (Bapts & Bur) & 1561-1754 (Mar) was published by the Staffordshire Parish Register Society in 1967-68 and has been reprinted by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.