"Kingstone Church, St John, is an ancient building, which is much decayed, and appears to have formerly had aisles. The perpetual curacy is in the patronage of Earl Talbot, and incumbency of the Rev TP Browne, of Gratwich Rectory.
In the village is a small Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1849."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
A new church was erected in 1861, to the east of the site of the old church, built in stone in the Early Decorated style, from designs by the architect Brandon of London. It consists of chancel, nave, south aisle, north porch and a tower with three ancient bells. The old church, which was built in the 14th century, was then removed but mural inscriptions commemorating Sir Simon Degge, born 5 Jan, 1612, died 2 July, 1652, his wife Alice, and other relatives were transferred to the new church.
A view of St John's Church, Kingstone.