Towns & Parishes
"Kingstone, or Kingston, three and a half miles SW of Uttoxeter, is a village in the vale of a small rivulet, and gives name to the most southerly parish in Totmonslow Hundred, containing 339 inhabitants, and about 2000 acres of fertile land, abounding in wood, and including Blythe Bridge, a hamlet on the River Blythe, one mile SW; Leese Hall, half a mile NW; and Callow Hill, one and a half miles S of Kingston. Earl Talbot is principal owner and lord of the manor. At Blythe Bridge there is a ford for carriages, horses and cattle, and a wooden bridge for foot passengers."[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The population of Kingstone parish was as follows:
1801 -- 276
1831 -- 368
1841 -- 339
"Kingstone Church, St John, is an ancient building, which is much decayed, and appears to have formerly had aisles. The perpetual curacy is in the patronage of Earl Talbot, and incumbency of the Rev TP Browne, of Gratwich Rectory.
In the village is a small Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1849."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
A new church was erected in 1861, to the east of the site of the old church, built in stone in the Early Decorated style, from designs by the architect Brandon of London. It consists of chancel, nave, south aisle, north porch and a tower with three ancient bells. The old church, which was built in the 14th century, was then removed but mural inscriptions commemorating Sir Simon Degge, born 5 Jan, 1612, died 2 July, 1652, his wife Alice, and other relatives were transferred to the new church.
A view of St John's Church, Kingstone.
Church of England Registers
The surviving parish register of the parish church of St John commences in 1755. The original registers for the period 1813-1873 (Bapts), 1755-1837 (Mar), & 1813-1938 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1679-1868 (with gaps 1682-85, 1701-05, 1735-38, 1791-94 & 1856-64) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
Kingstone parish became part of Uttoxeter Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 10th October 2002, Mike Harbach. ©1998, 2000, 2002 ]