"Kingswinford, or Swinford Regis, is a small but pleasant village, with many new houses, three miles WSW of Dudley, and seven miles S of Wolverhampton. It gives name to a very extensive parish, which comprises 7315 acres and 22,221 inhabitants. The greater portion of the population is at Brierley Hill, Wordsley, Brettell Lane, Brockmore, Bromley, Delph, Shut End, and Wall Heath, and there are also in the parish 20 smaller hamlets. In these villages and hamlets are many extensive coal, iron, and glass works, a wire mill, several potteries of stone and coarse glass ware, several large brick and tile yards, and a number of chain and nail makers. Lord Ward is lord of the manor, which comprises the whole parish, and owner of a great part of the soil. The rest belongs to JHH Foley, Esq, Henry Bradley, Esq, Miss Briscoe, J & W Foster, Esqs, Edward Addenbrooke, Esq, Joseph Atkinson, Esq, W & C Wheeley, Esqs, and some smaller owners. The parish is skirted on three sides by canals, and crossed on the north side by a railroad, for the convenience of the coal and iron works, etc.
In the village of Kingswinford stands Bradley Hall, an ancient half-timbered house, encompassed by lofty walls, dated on the front at 1596. To the west is the pleasant eminence called Summer Hill, where there are several good modern houses, and at a short distance is Ashwood, an excellent house created by the late Lord Dudley, and formerly occupied by Sir Joseph Scott. Eastward from the village is Holbeach, the place where Stephen Lyttleton, and others concerned in the Gunpowder Plot, were taken in 1605. About half a mile to the south is Shutt End, a venerable structure, the seat of the Bendys for many generations, and beyond it is Corbyn's Hall, which took its name from the former owners. On the banks of the Stour and the canal, about two miles SSW of Kingswinford, is Prestwood House, formerly the seat of the Hon Edward Foley, and now of John H Hodgetts Foley, Esq, MP, one of the representatives of the east division of Worcestershire. It is a handsome Gothic mansion, placed on the site of one more ancient, built by Sir John Lyttleton, of which the gateway still remains.
Audnam is a hamlet on the Wolverhampton road, one and a quarter miles N by W of Stourbridge, where there are bottle and flint glass works.
Brettell Lane, on the Dudley road, one mile N of Stourbridge, is a long village, with two coarse potteries, a flint glass house, and several iron works.
Brierley Hill formed a chapelry to Kingswinford parish and details can be found on the Brierley Hill
Brockmoor, a village and district of many scattered houses, about half a mile N of Brierley Hill, gives name to a district parish of more than 3500 souls.
Delph, three miles S by W of Dudley, is a village on the canal, where there is a rise of nine locks. Here are many nail makers, and a large fire brick manufactory.
Shutt End district has several coal and iron works, and the village of Tansy Green, two miles SW of Dudley.
Wall Heath is a scattered village, with a large spade and shovel manufactory, four miles W of Dudley, and one mile NW of Kingswinford.
Pensnett district parish, formed in 1844, from two to three miles WSW of Dudley, includes Bromley, Commonside, Pensnett Chase, etc and upwards of 4000 souls.
Quarry Bank, Mount Pleasant, Crier's Plain, and Thorns, are adjacent hamlets, about three miles S of Dudley, in the district parish of Quarry Bank, which has about 3000 souls.
Wordsley, on the Stourbridge road, about a mile SSW of Kingswinford, and one and a half miles W of Brierley Hill, is a large modern village, and has in its vicinity several glass, coal, and iron works. Wordsley Glass Works, first established by Messrs Bradley, Ensall, and Holt, are the oldest in the county, and there are some old established glassworks at Audnam, now belonging to M & W Grazebrook."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]