"Leigh is a parish divided into the townships of Leigh and Field, the former containing about 6800 acres of land, and 926 inhabitants, and the latter about 600 acres and 86 inhabitants. Lord Bagot is lord of the manor, and he and William Evans, Esq, own a great part of the parish.
Leigh township contains the hamlets of Church Leigh, Upper Leigh, and Lower Leigh, in the vale of the Blythe, and Leigh Railway Station, on the North Staffordshire line, five miles WNW of Uttoxeter. It also contains Dodsley, three quarters of a mile SW, Painley Hill, one and a half miles S, Middleton Green, two miles W by S, Upper & Lower Nobutt (or North-butt), one and a half miles ESE, and Withington, one mile E of Church Leigh.
Field township has a small village on the east side of the river Blythe, four and a half miles W of Uttoxeter. Field Hall, now a farmhouse, was formerly a seat of the Bagots. Field township passed from the Pipes to the Bagots, and was formerly thickly covered with wood, and was noted for a prodigious Witch Elm, cut down in 1680. "
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]