Towns & Parishes
"Leigh is a parish divided into the townships of Leigh and Field, the former containing about 6800 acres of land, and 926 inhabitants, and the latter about 600 acres and 86 inhabitants. Lord Bagot is lord of the manor, and he and William Evans, Esq, own a great part of the parish.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Leigh township contains the hamlets of Church Leigh, Upper Leigh, and Lower Leigh, in the vale of the Blythe, and Leigh Railway Station, on the North Staffordshire line, five miles WNW of Uttoxeter. It also contains Dodsley, three quarters of a mile SW, Painley Hill, one and a half miles S, Middleton Green, two miles W by S, Upper & Lower Nobutt (or North-butt), one and a half miles ESE, and Withington, one mile E of Church Leigh.
Field township has a small village on the east side of the river Blythe, four and a half miles W of Uttoxeter. Field Hall, now a farmhouse, was formerly a seat of the Bagots. Field township passed from the Pipes to the Bagots, and was formerly thickly covered with wood, and was noted for a prodigious Witch Elm, cut down in 1680. "
The population of Leigh parish was as follows:
1801 -- 905
1831 -- 1038
1841 -- 1012
"The Parish Church, dedicated to All Saints, is a handsome cruciform structure, which was all rebuilt and beautifully restored in 1848, except the tower, which rises from the centre. It is in the late decorated style with ancient and modern stained glass in the chancel windows. In the south transept is a beautiful alter tomb to John Aston and his wife, who lived at Park Hall in the 16th century, and some mural monuments of the Ashenhurst family.
The rectory is in the patronage of Lord Bagot, and incumbency of the Rev LF Bagot, MA.
There is a Wesleyan Chapel at Dodsley, and a small Primitive Methodist Chapel at Middleton Green."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Church of England Registers
The parish register of the church of All Saints commences in 1541. The original registers for the period 1541-1983 (Bapts), 1541-1988 (Mar) & 1541-1909 (Bur), and Banns for the period 1754-1809 & 1824-1901 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1660-1854 (with gaps 1664-70, 1679 & 1767-69) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
The parish became part of Uttoxeter Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 31st May 2000, Mike Harbach. ©1998, 2000