"Lichfield Cathedral, situated in a spacious Close, skirted by many handsome mansions, is an object of just veneration, and one of the noblest religious fabrics of this kingdom. It is 411 feet in length from east to west, and its three towers, rich in beautiful tracery, are surrounded by lofty and elegant spires, one rising from the centre to 258 feet, and two at the west end, rising to 183 feet. The grand western front is eminently beautiful, consisting of a large pyramidical facade, enriched with a profusion of tracery and a large assemblage of highly wrought statues, placed in niches. On top of the ornamented gable, between the two spires, stands a colossal figure of Charles II, by Sir William Wilson.
The members of the Cathedral are a Dean, Precentor, Chancellor, four Canons Residentiary, about 20 Prebendaries, five Priest-Vicars, seven Lay-Vicars, a Sacrist, a Divinity Lecturer, a Sub-Sacrist, 14 Choristers, and two Vergers.
The Bishop of Lichfield is the Right Reverend John Lonsdale, DD, who resides at Eccleshall Castle and 39, Harley Street, London.
The Dean of Lichfield is the Hon & Very Reverend Henry Edward John Howard, DD, who resides at The Deanery, Lichfield Close."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]