Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Lichfield St Chad
"St Chad's, at the north-east end of the city, close to the extensive pool of Stowe Mill, is the oldest church in Lichfield, being founded at a date long prior to the Cathedral. It is commonly called Stowe Church, from its standing in the ancient lordship of Stowe. It is a small stone structure with a square tower, but has no ornamental decorations, except the interior, which was thoroughly repaired about 50 years ago.
The perpetual curacy is in the patronage of the vicar of St Mary's, Lichfield, and incumbency of the Rev F Wheler."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
A transcript of St Chad, Lichfield, Monumental Inscriptions has been published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
St Chad's derives its name from the famous St Chad having his cell or hermitage here, before he was appointed to the Bishopric, and stands on the site of the earliest Christian structure in the area.
The earliest portion of the church is very fine Early English style, particularly the south door.
It consists of a nave, chancel, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower of the 15th century, with pinnacles and a turret, and containing four bells. The tower was restored in 1930.
An c1910 postcard view of St Chad's Church.
Church of England Registers
The register of St Chad commences in 1635. The original registers for the period 1635-1946 (Bapts), 1635-1933 (Mar), & 1635-1953 (Bur), and Banns for the period 1754-1774 are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts for the period 1659-1892 (with several gaps) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
Nonconformist Church Registers
Records of Nonconformist churches in Lichfield can be found on the Lichfield page.
You can see pictures of Lichfield which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK117094 (Lat/Lon: 52.682146, -1.828377), Lichfield which are provided by: