"St Chad's, at the north-east end of the city, close to the extensive pool of Stowe Mill, is the oldest church in Lichfield, being founded at a date long prior to the Cathedral. It is commonly called Stowe Church, from its standing in the ancient lordship of Stowe. It is a small stone structure with a square tower, but has no ornamental decorations, except the interior, which was thoroughly repaired about 50 years ago.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The perpetual curacy is in the patronage of the vicar of St Mary's, Lichfield, and incumbency of the Rev F Wheler."
A transcript of St Chad, Lichfield, Monumental Inscriptions has been published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
An c1910 postcard view of St Chad's Church.
Church of England Registers
The register of St Chad commences in 1635. The original registers for the period 1635-1946 (Bapts), 1635-1933 (Mar), & 1635-1953 (Bur), and Banns for the period 1754-1774 are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts for the period 1659-1892 (with several gaps) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
Nonconformist Church Registers
Records of Nonconformist churches in Lichfield can be found on the Lichfield page.
[Last updated: 30th August 2004, Mike Harbach. © 1999 - 2004