"St Mary's is a plain edifice, with a short tower, on the south side of the Market Place. The present building was completed in 1721, but is about to be repaired, and the tower rebuilt.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The vicarage is in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield, and incumbency of the Ven George Hodson, MA, archdeacon of Stafford."
St Mary, Lichfield, had no churchyard and only the two earliest registers contain burials. The registers from 1581 give the place of burial of parishioners which is usually St Chad or St Michael, Lichfield.
Church of England Registers
The register of St Mary commences in 1566. The original registers for the period 1566-1917 (Bapts), 1566-1921 (Mar), & 1566-1921 (Bur), and Banns for the period 1754-1792 & 1823-1954 are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts for the period 1659-1868 (with gaps 1662-72 & 1675-78) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
Nonconformist Church Registers
Records of Nonconformist churches in Lichfield can be found on the Lichfield page.
[Last updated: 12th April 2000, Mike Harbach. © 1999, 2000 ]