"St Michael's church is an ancient edifice, with a lofty spire, standing in a spacious burial ground of seven acres, on Green Hill, on the south-eastern side of the city.
The perpetual curacy is in the patronage of the vicar of St Mary's, Lichfield, and incumbency of the Rev Thomas Gnosall Parr, MA."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
St Michael's is supposed to have been rebuilt in the reign of Henry VII, but part of the spire was blown down in 1593.
It is a building of stone, in the Early English, Decorated, and Perpendicular styles, consisting of a nave, chancel, aisles, north porch and a western tower with spire, containing a clock and six bells. The aisles were rebuilt in 1844, and an open roof substituted for the old plaster ceiling. The church was restored in 1890.
Michael Johnson, father of the celebrated Dr Johnson, was buried in St Michael's.
Church of England Registers
The register of St Michael commences in 1569. The original registers for the period 1569-1933 (Bapts), 1569-1945 (Mar), & 1569-1940 (Bur), and Banns for the period 1754-1762 are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts for the period 1663-1868 (with many gaps) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.