Towns & Parishes
"Lichfield, an ancient but well-built city, with about 7,000 inhabitants, and many handsome modern houses and public buildings, is the See of an extensive Diocese, and head of a Poor Law Union and County Court District. It forms, with its precincts, a county of itself, though locally situated in the South Division of Offlow Hundred, in a fine open vale, near the line of the Roman Icknield Street, the Wyrley & Essington Canal, and the South Staffordshire and Trent Valley Railways. It has commodious wharfs and railway stations, and is distant sixteen miles SE by E of Stafford, and sixteen miles N by E of Birmingham. Few places are more interesting to the antiquary than Lichfield, with its noble Cathedral, and other antiquities, or to the admirers of genius, talent and learning, from its association with such names as Johnson, Garrick, Darwin, Ashmole, Seward, Addison, etc.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The Cathedral Close, occupies the highest and most attractive part of the town, and is skirted by many handsome houses, and separated from the city by a brook, which expands into a fine pool, and is crossed by several bridges. The city is divided into three parishes, St Mary's, in the central part of the city, St Chad's, in the north and west, and St Michael's, in the south and east, and they have several townships lying beyond the limits of the County of the City, which is co-extensive with the municipal and parliamentary limits, which now comprise the Close, the Friary, and parts of Pipe Hill and Freeford. The Corporation are lords of the manor, but the principal owner of land and buildings in the city is the Earl of Lichfield. The out-townships of Lichfield are, Curborough & Elmhurst, Fisherwick, Freeford, Haselour, Streethay, Burntwood Edjall & Woodhouses, Hammerwich, Pipe-Hill and Wall.
Curborough & Elmhurst, have 2080 acres and 227 inhabitants, and are two hamlets forming a township of scattered houses, extending from one to two miles N by E of Lichfield. Curborough lies within a mile of the city, beyond Pones Mill, formerly a carpet and worsted manufactory, but now unoccupied. It was anciently a member of the Bishop's barony, and is now the property of the Levett family and the Marquis of Anglesey, but the Earl of Lichfield is lord of the manor. Elmhurst, two miles from Lichfield, near Uttoxeter Road, is mostly the property of CJ Smith, Esq, who resides at the Hall. It comprises about 860 acres, and includes the hamlet of Stitchbrook. Curborough Hall, now a farmhouse, is very ancient and was formerly the seat of the Levett family.
Fisherwick township, in the vale of the Tame, four miles E of Lichfield, contains 86 inhabitants, and about 1130 acres of rich land, of which two-thirds belongs to the Hon Mrs Howard, of Elford, the lady of the manor. Hademore, on the SW side of the township, is a large estate belonging to Sir Robert Peel.
Freeford, two miles SE of Lichfield, is an ancient hamlet, in the County of the City, containing only 50 inhabitants. The manor comprises 500 acres of rich and well wooded land, belonging to Captain Dyott, who resides at the Hall, which, with the demesne around it, forms an extra-parochial liberty of 27 souls.
Haselour, seven and a half miles E of Lichfield, is an extra-parochial manor of 570 acres, containing only 5 houses, 29 inhabitants, and a deserted chapel, which is a prebend of Lichfield Cathedral. John Neville, Esq, is lord of the manor, and resides at the Hall. The inhabitants have church room at Harlaston, a neighbouing chapelry.
Streethay is a township of scattered houses, on and near the Burton road, two miles E by N of Lichfield. It contains 850 acres and 125 souls. The Marquis of Anglesey is lord of the manor, but the soil belongs to the Peel, Holland, Bailye, Woodcock, and other families. At Dernford, in a picturesque valley near the canal, is a large corn mill, and at a short distance is Fulfen, an extra-parochial farm, anciently belonging to the Fulfen family, of whom it was purchased by Sir Richard Dyott, in 1639. It now belongs to Captain Dyott.
Pipe-Hill is a pleasant hamlet and township on the Walsall road, one to two and a half miles SW of Lichfield, with 110 inhabitants. The Marquis of Anglesey is lord of the manor, but the soil belongs to the Earl of Lichfield, JH Bradburne, Esq, Richard Hinckley, Esq, and a few smaller owners. Near a public house called Muckley Corner, the turnpike road crosses the Roman Watling Street, and enters Cannock Chase.
Wall, a hamlet and township of 91 inhabitants, occupying a lofty eminence, two miles S of Lichfield, is intersected by Watling Street, and is the ancient Roman Station, Etocetum, of which vestiges may still be traced in the walls. John Mott, Esq, and the Rev T Owen Burnes Floyer, are joint lords of the manor and owners of most of the soil, but the rest belongs to T & J Bradburne, Mrs Jackson, and a few smaller owners. Aldershaw, the seat of the Rev TOB Floyer, stands on a commanding eminence, one and a half miles S of Lichfield."
Burntwood, Edjall and Woodhouses Township formed a chapelry to Lichfield and details can be found on the Burntwood page.
Hammerwich Township formed a chapelry to Lichfield and details can be found on the Hammerwich page.
'History of the City & County of Lichfield'
by John Jackson
Published 1795 (Second Ed), by John Jackson, Lichfield
'History of the City & Cathedral of Lichfield'
by John Jackson
Published 1805, London.
'The History & Antiquities of the Church & City of Lichfield...'
by Rev. Thomas Harwood
Published 1806, by Cadell & Davies, London.
'The Bishoprick of Lichfield, Its History, Divisions & See Towns, Etc'
by Alfred John Brookes
Published 1882, by Burbidge, Coventry.
'Sketches in and Around Lichfield & Rugeley...'
by Alfred Williams
Published 1892, by Eggington & Brown, Lichfield & HJ Pascoe, Rugeley.
'Loyal & Ancient City. Lichfield in the Civil Wars'
by Howard Clayton
Published 1992, by Howard Clayton, Lichfield.
'Cathedral City. A Look at Victorian Lichfield'
by Howard Clayton
Published 1977, by Howard Clayton, Lichfield.
'A Short History of Lichfield Grammar School'
by Percy Laithwaite
Published 1925, by Lomax's Successors, Lichfield.
'A History of King Edward VI Grammar School, Lichfield'
by Julie A Taylor
Published 1995, by King Edward VI Grammar School, Lichfield.
'The History of the Lichfield Conduit Lands Trust, 1546 to 1946'
by Percy Laithwaite
Published 1947, by Lomax's Successors, Lichfield.
'History of Lichfield Theological College, 1857-1927'
by Ernest Charles Inman
Published 1928, by Lomax's Successors, Lichfield.
'Lichfield in Old Photographs'
by Howard Clayton & Kathleen Simmons
Published 1994, by Alan Sutton, Stroud, Gloucestershire.
'Lichfield on Old Picture Postcards'
by Roy Lewis
Published 1994, by Reflections of a Bygone Age, Keyworth.
'Lichfield Then & Now'
by Ralph James
Published 1988, by Lichfield Press, Lichfield.
'The Story of Congregationalism in and about Longdon & Lichfield
from its commencement down to the year 1906
by Alfred James Meacham
Published 1907, by AJ Meacham, Lichfield.
A full transcript and surname index of the 1851 census for Lichfield is included in the 1851 Staffordshire Census Index Vol 11, Part 1, Lichfield, Cathedral Close and surrounding villages which has been published by the Birmingham and Midland SGH.
A transcript of Gregory King's 1695 Census of Lichfield has been published by the Birmingham and Midland SGH.
Church of England History
For Anglican church history see individual Parishes
Nonconformist Church History
"The Independent Chapel, in Wade Street, was built in 1812, and is a neat brick building, with a house for the minister, the Rev William Salt.
The Wesleyan Chapel, in Lombard Street, was built in 1814, and the New Connexion Methodist Chapel, in Queen Street, was built in 1833. In George Lane is a small Primitive Methodist Chapel, erected in 1847.
The Catholic Chapel, Holy Cross, at the south end of John Street, is a neat Gothic building of brick, erected in 1802, by the Rev John Kirk DD, who has been priest here for 54 years, and is now assisted by the Rev Joseph Parke. The chapel was enlarged and the tower rebuilt in 1843."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Church of England Registers
For Anglican church records see individual Parishes
Nonconformist Church Registers
The original registers are deposited at Lichfield Record Office (LRO), Staffordshire Record Office (SRO), or the Public Record Office (PRO) as indicated below:
Lichfield Primitive Methodist Circuit, Baptisms 1840-1932 (LRO)
Lichfield Congregational, Baptisms 1912-1977, Marriages 1912-1948, Burials 1912-1951 (LRO)
Lichfield Presbyterian, Births & Baptisms 1695-1736 (SRO)
Lichfield Wesleyan Methodist, Baptisms 1815-1892 (LRO)
Lichfield, Tamworth Street, Wesleyan Methodist, Baptisms 1892-1982 (LRO)
Lichfield, Wade Street, Independent, Baptisms 1801-1837 (PRO)
Lichfield, Wade Street, Wesleyan Methodist, Baptisms 1815-1837 (PRO)
The original registers of Lichfield, Holy Cross, Roman Catholic church for the period 1788-1947 (Bapts), 1806, 1816, 1838 & 1846-1925 (Confirmations) & 1803-1839 & 1846-1925 (Mar) are deposited at Birmingham Diocesan Archives.
A transcription of the section on Lichfield from A Topographical History of Staffordshire by William Pitt (1817)
A transcription of the section on Lichfield Villages in the Parishes of St Chad & St Michael from A Topographical History of Staffordshire by William Pitt (1817)
'Lomax's Red Book and Almanack for the City and County of Lichfield' was published by AC Lomax, Lichfield, in 1898, 1901, 1903-1915 & 1934-1940.
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
Lichfield Union also included the parishes and townships of Alrewas, Armitage-with-Handsacre, King's Bromley, Colton, Elford, Farewell-and-Chorley, Fradswell, Longdon, Ogley-Hay, Orgreave, Pipe-Ridware, Hamstall-Ridware, Mavesyn-Ridware, Rugeley, Swinfen-and-Packington, Shenstone, Weeford, Whittington, and Yoxall.
The Union had an area of 94 square miles, and 24,127 inhabitants in 1841.
The Union workhouse stood on Burton Road, Lichfield, and was a large building in the Elizabethan style, erected in 1841, with room for about 200 paupers.
Staffordshire Record Office holds many records including:
Rate Books, 1866-1957
Valuation Lists, 1868-1934
The Public Record Office holds:
Correspondence, 1834-1900 (Class MH 12/11330-58)
Staff Registers, 1837-1921 (Class MH 9/10)
Lichfield Record Office holds electoral registers for the City & County of Lichfield Constituency for the period 1832-1841.
[Last updated: 3rd September 2014, Mike Harbach. © 1999 - 2014]