"Longdon parish church, St James, stands about half a mile north of Longdon Green, upon a fine eminence, and is a large ancient edifice. It was thoroughly repaired about 40 years ago, and enlarged in 1829, by the erection of a new gallery. A remarkably fine Norman arch divides the nave and chancel. Among the monuments is one to John de Stoneywell. who died in 1553, one to William Orme, Esq, who suffered much for his loyalty to the Stuarts, and one in memory of the late Bishop Majendie, of Bangor. The Hanch Chapel, which contains the tomb of William Orme, has just been restored by J Forster, Esq.
The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Bishop of Lichfield, and incumbency of the Rev Stuart Majendie, who has held the living since 1824.
Gentleshaw Church, in this parish, near Beaudesert, is a neat brick structure, which was built in 1845. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the alternate patronage of the Bishop and Dean and Chapter of Lichfield, and incumbency of the Rev E Carte, BA.
At Longdon Green is an old chapel, belonging to the Independents."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)