Towns & Parishes
"Longnor is a small market town, parochial chapelry (to Alstonfield parish), and township of only 561 souls and 787 acres. It is seated on an eminence, bounded on the east by the Dove, and on the west by the river Manifold and distant ten miles NE of Leek. The market, held every Tuesday, is well supplied with provisions and here are seven annual fairs.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Fawfield Head, the largest township in the parish (of Alstonfield) is in Longnor chapelry, and extends from one to five miles S of Longnor and contains a number of scattered houses in the vale of the Dove and Manifold, and the following hamlets; Fawfield Head, one mile S; Hulme End, four miles SSE; Reaps Moor, one and a half miles S; Newtown, two miles SW; and Wigginstall, two and a half miles S of Longnor.
Beresford Hall, an ancient manor now partly in ruins and partly occupied by a farmer, stands on the west bank of the Dove, about two miles above Alstonfield, and is celebrated as being the birthplace of Charles Cotton, the poet, who in the latter part of his life became acquainted with Isaac Walton, author of 'The Complete Angler'. Cotton erected in 1674 a small but handsome fishing house, on the River Dove, a short distance from Beresford Hall, so that he and his friend might the more comfortably enjoy that sport. "
The population of Longnor township was as follows:
1831 -- 429
1841 -- 561
The population of Fawfield Head township was as follows:
1831 -- 1017
1841 -- 923
"Longnor Church, (St Bartholomew), was rebuilt in 1780, and raised in height, so as to admit galleries, in 1812.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the vicar of Alstonfield, and incumbency of the Rev. Wm Buckwell, who is also incumbent of East Sterndale, in Derbyshire."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
The church of St Bartholomew, Longnor, was a chapelry of Alstonfield parish, details of which can be found on the Alstonfield parish page.
Church of England Registers
The register of St Bartholomew commences in 1691. The original registers for the period 1691-1892 (Bapts), 1691-1837 (Mar) & 1691-1883 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1690-1853 (with many gaps) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
The chapelry became part of Leek Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 11th April 2001, Mike Harbach. © 1998, 2000, 2001]