"Longton Church, St James, is a large and handsome stone fabric, which was built by the Government Commissioners in 1833-4, in the style which prevailed in the 14th century.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The benefit is a rectory, in the patronage of Mrs Dr Camidge, and incumbency of the Rev Benjamin Vale, LLD."
Church of England Registers
Longton, St James was a chapelry to Longton, St John.
The register of St James, Longton, commences in 1834. The original registers for the period 1834-1930 (Bapts), 1837-1948 (Mar) & 1834-1915 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts 1834-1839 (Bapts & Bur) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
Nonconformist Church Registers
Records of Nonconformist churches in Longton can be found on the Longton page.
[Last updated: 12th April 2000, Mike Harbach. © 1999, 2000