"Lane-End Church, or, as it is now called, St John's, Longton, was founded and endowed by John Bourne, Esq, in 1764, but it was rebuilt in 1792, and enlarged in 1827. It is a neat and spacious brick structure, and has a tower with a peal of eight bells.
The benefit is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of trustees, and incumbency of the Rev William Ford, MA."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Church of England Registers
Longton, St John was known as Lane-End church until the end of the 19th century and was a chapelry in Stoke-upon-Trent parish. It became a parish in its own right in 1839.
The register of St John, Longton, commences in 1764. The original registers for the period 1764-1976 (Bapts), 1866-1978 (Mar) & 1764-1975 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts (Bapts & Bur only), 1764-1868 (with gaps 1773-1794 & 1854-1855) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
Nonconformist Church Registers
Records of Nonconformist churches in Longton can be found on the Longton page.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Longton which are provided by: