Towns & Parishes
"Longton and Lane-End are two townships, or liberties, forming one flourishing market town now commonly called Longton, and situated at the southern extremity of the Potteries, five miles SE of Newcastle-under-Lyme, and six miles SSE of Burslem. This rapidly improving town is extensively engaged in the china and earthenware manufacture, and is pleasantly situated in the bosom and on the sides of the valley of a small rivulet. It is crossed by the North Staffordshire Railway, which has a station, carried on arches over the lower part of the town, constructed in 1848. The town is in the parish and parliamentary borough of Stoke-upon-Trent. Including its southern suburbs in Blurton and Normicott, it has now about 16,000 inhabitants. The population of Longton in 1841 was 10,393, and Lane-End, 1,952, so that the chief part of the town is in the manor of Longton, although, until about ten years ago, the town was popularly called Lane-End. The Duke of Sutherland and John E Heathcote, Esq, own a great part of the land in both liberties, and the latter is lord of the manor, and owner of Longton Hall, now occupied by Charles Harvey, Esq.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The town has risen from the rank of an humble village to its present consequence during the last 80 years. It has now many good streets, inns, and well stocked shops, and its market is held every Saturday."
'A History of Longton. Part 1: The Birth of a Community'
by John HY Briggs
Published 1982, by Dept of Adult Education, University of Keele.
'Longton Potters, 1700-1865'
by Rodney Hampson
Published 1990, by Stoke-on-Trent City Museum & Art Gallery.
'The Sylvac Story. The History & Products of Shaw & Copestake Ltd, Sylvan Works, Longton, & Thomas Lawrence Ltd, Falcon Works, Longton, 1894-1982'
by Susan Jean Verbeek
Revised Ed Published 1995, by Pottery Publications, London.
A surname index only of the 1851 census for Longton is included in the 1851 Staffordshire Census Surname Index Vol 5, Stoke on Trent Part 2, published by the Birmingham and Midland SGH.
Church of England History
For Anglican church history see individual Parishes
Nonconformist Church History
"The Roman Catholic Chapel, St Gregory, in Gregory Street, was erected in 1818, in the Gothic Style, but was considerably enlarged and beautified about 15 years ago, when a brick tower was added, and again in 1850, when a Lady Chapel was added, with a new stone altar. The Rev E Daniel is the priest.
The Independent Chapel, in Caroline Street, was built in 1819, and is now under the ministry of the Rev Samuel Jones. The Wesleyans have a large and handsome brick chapel in Stafford Street, with a stone portico, erected in lieu of their old chapel in Chapel Street. They also have a smaller chapel in High Street. The New Connexion Methodists have chapels in Commerce Street and New Street, and the Association Methodists have a small place of worship here."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Church of England Registers
For Anglican church records see individual Parishes
Nonconformist Church Registers
The original registers are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office (SRO) or the Public Record Office (PRO) as indicated below:
Commerce Street, Zion Chapel, Longton, Methodist New Connexion, Marriages 1899-1938 (SRO)
East Vale, Longton, Wesleyan Methodist, Marriages 1926-1946 (SRO)
Caroline Street, Lane End, Independent, Births & Baptisms 1819-1837 (PRO)
New Street, Longton, Methodist New Connexion, Births & Baptisms 1811-1837 (PRO)
Flint Street Chapel, Longton, Primitive Methodist, Births & Baptisms 1829-1837 (PRO)
High Street, Longton, Wesleyan Methodist, Births & Baptisms 1811-1837 (PRO)
The original registers of Longton, St Gregory, Roman Catholic church for the period 1822-1914 (Bapts), 1866-1901 (Confirmations), 1837-1930 (Mar) & 1856-1951 (Deaths) are deposited at Birmingham Diocesan Archives.
'Hughes & Harber's Almanack, Local Information, Trade Directory and Year Book (Longton)' was published by Hughes & Harber Ltd, Longton, in 1902-1907.
A map showing the pre-1850 boundaries of Longton Parish & Townships
[Last updated: 30th July 2014, Mike Harbach. © 1999 - 2014]