"Lower Gornal Church, St James, is a neat structure in the early English style, built of excellent stone from the neighbouring quarries. It was commenced in 1815, but not finished until 1823, when it was consecrated. It was enlarged in 1837, and was entirely re-fitted in 1849 when a chancel was added, with stained glass windows, and the whole fabric greatly improved and beautified.
The perpetual curacy is in the patronage of Lord Ward, and incumbency of the Rev James Yates Rooker."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
St James, Lower Gornal was a chapelry of Sedgley parish, details of which can be found on the Sedgley parish page