Towns & Parishes
"Lower Gornal is a village and ecclesiastical district (of Sedgley parish), of about 6000 souls, about two miles W by N of Dudley. The inhabitants are chiefly miners and nail makers. The district is one and a half miles long, and one and a quarter miles broad, and includes a large colliery, belonging to Lord Ward, and Ellows Hall, now unoccupied."[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
"Lower Gornal Church, St James, is a neat structure in the early English style, built of excellent stone from the neighbouring quarries. It was commenced in 1815, but not finished until 1823, when it was consecrated. It was enlarged in 1837, and was entirely re-fitted in 1849 when a chancel was added, with stained glass windows, and the whole fabric greatly improved and beautified.
The perpetual curacy is in the patronage of Lord Ward, and incumbency of the Rev James Yates Rooker."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
St James, Lower Gornal was a chapelry of Sedgley parish, details of which can be found on the Sedgley parish page.
Church of England Registers
The register of Lower Gornal, St James commences in 1823. The original registers for the period 1823-1964 (Bapts), 1838-1950 (Mar) and 1823-1958 (Bur) are deposited at Dudley Archives & Local History Service.
Bishops Transcripts for the period 1823-1847 (Bapts & Bur only) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
The following nonconformist registers are deposited at Dudley Archives & Local History Service:
Lower Gornal, Methodist, Lake Street Chapel, 1853-1916 (Bapts)
Lower Gornal formed part of Sedgley parish which became part of Dudley Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 7th August 2009, Mike Harbach. © 1999 - 2009 ]