Towns & Parishes
"Madeley parish extends from four miles W of Newcastle-under-Lyme, to the junction of Cheshire and Shropshire, and comprises a fertile but hilly district of 6010 acres, divided into the townships of Madeley and Onniley, the former containing 1300, and the latter 192 inhabitants. The principal owners of the soil are the Earl of Wilton and Lord Crewe, the latter of whom is lord of the manor, and derived this estate from the late Hon Elizabeth Emma Cunliffe Offley, sister of the late Lord Crewe, who was a descendent of the knightly family of Offley, who held this manor during several centuries. The Earl of Wilton is descended from the Egertons, who long had their principal residence here.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Great Madeley, the principal village of the parish, is seated in a narrow vale, on the Whitchurch road, five miles W by S of Newcastle-under-Lyme, and contains several good houses. About a mile NE is the village of Little Madeley, to the west of which is the Manor house, a handsome modern mansion, which is now the seat of the Hon Miss Crewe, sister of Lord Crewe. Wrinehill Hall, formerly the seat of the Egertons, is now a farm house, on the west side of the parish, adjoining to Cheshire.
At Leycett, two miles N of Great Madeley, is a colliery and iron works, and in the parish are three large brick and tile works, and several nail manufacturers. Here are excellent beds of blue, red, and fire clay, of which drain pipes, as well as bricks and tiles, are made. Near the village is a Railway Station, on the London & North Western line.
Onniley, or Onneley, is a pleasant hamlet and township, one and a half miles SW of Great Madeley. It belongs to the Earl of Wilton and several other freeholders. About one and a half miles to the SE is Madeley Park, an extensive wood with a neat mansion occupied by a farmer. "
'Madeley, Staffordshire. (with illustrations & a map)'
by Robert Nicholls
Published 1935, by James Heap, Hanley.
The population of Madeley parish was as follows:
1801 -- 945
1831 -- 1190
1841 -- 1492
A surname index of the 1851 census for Madeley Parish is included in the Newcastle under Lyme surname index to the 1851 census published by the Birmingham and Midland SGH.
"The Parish Church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure, with an embattled tower and six bells. There are many monuments of the Offley family in the church.
The vicarage is in the patronage of Lord Crewe, and incumbency of the Rev JW Daltry, MA.
In the village of Great Madeley is a small Methodist Chapel, built in 1831."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Church of England Registers
The surviving parish register of the church of All Saints commences in 1678. The original registers for the period 1678-1902 (Bapts) & 1678-1928 (Mar & Bur), and Banns for the period 1823-1941 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1682-1853 (with gaps 1776-82 & 1809-12) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A printed transcript of the register for 1567-1812 was published in two parts by the Staffordshire Parish Register Society in 1960-61, and has been reprinted by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
The parish became part of Newcastle-under-Lyme Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 3rd June 2000, Mike Harbach. © 1998, 1999, 2000]