"The chapel, dedicated to St John, stands below the village and is a neat modern structure having four bells.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the vicar of Hanbury, and incumbency of the Rev. Hugh Bennett, MA.
Here is a Primitive Methodist Chapel, built in 1841"
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
The church of St John, later St Peter, Marchington, was a chapelry of Hanbury parish, details of which can be found on the Hanbury parish page.
Note : The original chapel, built in the 13th century, was dedicated to St John the Baptist. In 1743 this chapel was demolished and a new chapel built on the site which was dedicated to St Peter.