Towns & Parishes
"Marchington, a village, township, and chapelry (to Hanbury parish), containing 471 souls and 2710 acres, is situated on the south bank of the Dove, at the most northern point of Offlow Hundred, four miles ESE of Uttoxeter. The manor was part of the demesne lands appertaining to the honour of Tutbury, and given by the Conqueror to Henry de Ferrers. HCM Ingram, Esq, is lord of the manor. The copyhold land is held on a heavy tenure, being subject to fines amounting to one and a half year's rent, with the best beast or stack as a heriot on the death of every tenant.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Marchington-Woodlands is a township of scattered houses, extending SW from Marchington to the distance of two miles. It contains 471 souls, and 2550 acres, and includes the north-western corner of Needwood Forest, also Smallwood Manor, the seat of Thomas Webb, Esq, and Oversale, a hamlet and estate belonging to Thomas H Hall, Esq. Much of the land is copyhold, on the same tenure as Marchington."
'The History of Marchington'
by Peter Woolley & John Ellwood
Published 1989, by Parochial Church Council of St Peter's, Marchington.
The population of Marchington township was as follows:
1801 -- 210
1831 -- 491
1841 -- 471
The population of Marchington-Woodland township was as follows:
1801 -- 260
1831 -- 293
1841 -- 471
"The chapel, dedicated to St John, stands below the village and is a neat modern structure having four bells.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the vicar of Hanbury, and incumbency of the Rev. Hugh Bennett, MA.
Here is a Primitive Methodist Chapel, built in 1841"
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
The church of St John, later St Peter, Marchington, was a chapelry of Hanbury parish, details of which can be found on the Hanbury parish page.
Note : The original chapel, built in the 13th century, was dedicated to St John the Baptist. In 1743 this chapel was demolished and a new chapel built on the site which was dedicated to St Peter.
Church of England Registers
The surviving register of St John, later St Peter, commences in 1612. The original registers for the period 1612-1670 (with gaps 1644-48) & 1749-1979 (Bapts), 1612-1985 (Mar) & 1612-1968 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
A manuscript copy of the register commencing at the earlier date of 1609 is deposited at the William Salt Library.
Bishops Transcripts, 1667-1868 (with gaps 1668-75, 1714-15, 1838-40 & 1845-58) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A transcription of the section on Marchington from A Topographical History of Staffordshire by William Pitt (1817)
The chapelry became part of Uttoxeter Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 18th August 2014, Mike Harbach. © 1998 - 2014