"Marston township and chapelry (to Stafford, St Mary) contains about 40 scattered houses, 178 souls, and 1300 acres of strong loamy land, three miles N of Stafford. The whole belongs to the Earl of Harrowby, except 125 acres allotted to the parishoners of Stafford, at the enclosure in 1800.
The principal inhabitants are George Goodwin, shoemaker, Sus. Goodwin, schoolmistress, and the following farmers; William Cliff, Thomas Greensmith, Peter Lowe, Charles Morris of Portfields, and Simon Myatt of Enson Moor."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]