Towns & Parishes
"Marston township and chapelry (to Stafford, St Mary) contains about 40 scattered houses, 178 souls, and 1300 acres of strong loamy land, three miles N of Stafford. The whole belongs to the Earl of Harrowby, except 125 acres allotted to the parishoners of Stafford, at the enclosure in 1800.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
The principal inhabitants are George Goodwin, shoemaker, Sus. Goodwin, schoolmistress, and the following farmers; William Cliff, Thomas Greensmith, Peter Lowe, Charles Morris of Portfields, and Simon Myatt of Enson Moor."
The population of Marston township was as follows:
1801 -- 99
1811 -- 100
1821 -- 96
1831 -- 119
1841 -- 178
A surname index of the 1851 census of Marston township is included in the Staffordshire 1851 Census Surname index, Volumes 1 & 2, Stafford/Stone, published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
"The Church of St Leonard, Marston, is a small ancient fabric, to which a modern brick chancel has been added. It has a cupola and a bell.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Rector of Stafford, and incumbency of the Rev George Norman, MA, who is also incumbent of Whitgreave, and master of Stafford Grammar School."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
The church of St Leonard, Marston, was a chapelry of Stafford, St Mary's parish, details of which can be found on the Stafford page.
Church of England Registers
The register of St Leonard commences in 1565. The original registers for the period 1565-1954 (Bapts), 1565-1983 (Mar) & 1565-1978 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Note that the registers have many gaps, odd entries and a damaged early volume.
Bishops Transcripts, 1661-1862 (with gaps 1685-1711, 1723-1729, 1748-1793 & 1854-1856) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
The chapelry became part of Stafford Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 3rd June 2000, Mike Harbach. © 1999, 2000]