"Mavesyn Ridware parish extends from five to eight miles NNW of Lichfield, on the Uttoxeter road, from High Bridge on the Trent, to Blithford Bridge on the river Blythe. It contains the small villages of Mavesyn Ridware and Hill Ridware, six miles, and Blithbury, eight miles N by W of Lichfield. Its population amounts only to 523 souls, though it comprises a highly cultivated and picturesque district of 2450 acres, of which Hugo Mavesyn Chadwick, Esq, of New Hall, Warwickshire, Lord Bagot, Mr Thomas Brindley, and Mr Thomas Adie, are the principal owners, but Lord Leigh is lord paramount of these manors, as well as those of Hamstall & Pipe Ridware, After the Norman Conquest, Mavesyn Ridware was given to Roger de Montgomery, under which it was held by Azeline, another adventurous follower of the Conquest. From the latter it passed to the knightly family of Mavesyn, with whom it remained for ten generations. The two co-heiresses of the Mavesyns married Sir William Handsacre and Sir John Cawarden The old manor house, with a large estate and fishery of the Trent, have belonged to the Chadwick family since the year 1615, and are now possessed by HM Chadwick, Esq, who formerly resided at Hill Ridware, in a modern brick mansion, called the Upper House, seated on an eminence one mile N of the church, and now occupied by Captain Pearson. Hill Ridware Cottage is the pleasant seat of W Harwood, Esq. Blithbury or Blythbury, is a hamlet on the north side of the parish, overlooking the vale of the Blythe, eight miles N by W of Lichfield. Here, Hugo Mavesyn settled in the reign of Henry I and founded a church and priory on his demesne. The priory was dedicated to St Giles, and occupied by Benedictine Monks, but no traces of it now remain, the site having long been occupied by a farm house, belonging to HM Chadwick, Esq. Mr Thomas Brindley and Mr James Moxon have estates here. The most pleasant situations in the parish are the two farms, called Bentley and Cawarden Spring, the former half a mile E, and the latter nearly a mile W of Blithbury." [From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
"The Parish Church stands on the north bank of the Trent. It is dedicated to St Nicholas, and was rebuilt in 1782, except the tower and north aisle, part of the old stones being used in the walls and faced with brick. The rectory is in the alternate patronage of HM Chadwick and JN Lane, Esqrs, and incumbency of the Rev Thomas Grove, MA, who has held the living for 50 years, and is now assisted by the Rev John Underwood, BD." [From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Church of England Registers The parish register of the church of St Nicholas commences in 1538. The original registers for the period 1538-1771 & 1813-1931 (Bapts), 1538-1990 (Mar) & 1538-1910 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office. Bishops Transcripts, 1663-1869 (with gaps 1667, 1671, 1678-80, 1725-26, 1790-91, 1836 & 1853) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.