"Mayfield or Mathfield, a scattered village with several good houses, is in three divisions, called Church, Middle and Upper Mayfield, delightfully seated on the western side of Dovedale, two and a half miles SW of Ashbourn, and nine miles N by E of Uttoxeter. Its parish comprises about 4000 acres, and 1048 inhabitants, including the townships of Butterton, Mayfield and Woodhouses, and also part of Calton chapelry. Mayfield township has 847 souls and 1815 acres of land. Hanging Bridge, an ancient stone structure of five arches, crosses the romantic vale of the Dove, about half a mile N of the church, near Daisy Bank and Wall Ash. Mayfield cottage is noted as the place where Thomas Moore, Esq, wrote 'The Woodpecker' and other poems. Mayfield Hall is the handsome modern mansion of Joseph Tunnicliffe, Esq, the lord of the manor, and near it is Hermitage, the seat of William Greaves, Esq, and Bird's Grove, the seat of Mrs Sarah Greaves. These, and John Bill, Esq, and HC Okeover, Esq, own the greater part of Mayfield. There is a cotton mill here, and another on the opposite side of the Dove. Woodhouses is a small tithe free township of only about 55 souls, and 200 acres, with three farmhouses and a cottage, two miles NW of Ashbourn. HC Okeover, Esq, owns the whole. Butterton village and township, was a chapelry to Mayfield and details can be found on the Butterton page. [From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
"Mayfield Church, dedicated to St John the Baptist, is a handsome Gothic structure, with a strong and lofty tower, and was rebuilt by T Rolleston, in 1616, as appears from an inscription above the arched entrance at the west end. The vicarage is in the patronage of Mrs Sarah Greaves, and incumbency of the Rev TAL Greaves."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Church of England Registers The register of the parish church of St John the Baptist commences in 1576. The original registers for the period 1576-1968 (Bapts), 1576-1952 (Mar) & 1576-1899 (Bur), and Banns for the period 1754-1890 (with gaps) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office. Bishops Transcripts, 1676-1868 (with gaps 1705-8 & 1713-18) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.