"The church, or parochial chapel, (St Matthew), was built and endowed by Sir Ralph Bagnall, who vested it with seven trustees, by deed, dated 2nd February, 1564.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Leek, and incumbency of the Rev. James Turner, MA."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
The church of St Matthew, Meerbrook, was a chapelry of Leek & Lowe parish, details of which can be found on the Leek and Lowe parish page.
Meerbrook was formed into a new ecclesiastical parish in 1859.
Postcard of St Matthew's Church c1905.