Towns & Parishes
"Milwich is a small indifferently built village, in a low situation, near a small brook on the Uttoxeter road, five miles ESE of Stone, comprising within its parish 563 inhabitants, and about 2830 acres of land, including the hamlets of Coton, one mile E, Garshall Green, one mile N, and Dayhills, one mile W, of Milwich. The soil belongs to George Lewis Dyve, Esq, the Earl of Macclesfield, Edward Buller, Esq, Lord Scarsdale, and several smaller owners.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
A large corn mill, and several neat cottages, were built some years ago at Coton."
The population of Milwich parish was as follows:
1801 -- 497
1831 -- 551
1841 -- 563
"The Parish Church, All Saints, was rebuilt about 1795, except for the tower.
The vicarage is in the patronage of GL Dyve, Esq, and incumbency of the Rev WW King, BA.
There is a small Wesleyan Chapel at Garshall Green."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Church of England Registers
The parish register of the church of All Saints commences in 1573. The original registers for the period 1573-1930 (Bapts), 1573-1991 (Mar) & 1573-1684 & 1701-1890 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1636-1885 (with many gaps) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A transcript of the registers was published in two parts by Staffordshire Parish Registers Society, Part 1, 1573-1711 in 1904 and Part 2, 1713-1812 in 1996. Both parts have been reprinted by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
Milwich parish became part of Stone Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 3rd June 2000, Mike Harbach. © 1998, 2000]