Towns & Parishes
"Mucklestone, or Muccleston, is a small village on the side of a declivity, with a southern aspect, nine miles NW by W of Eccleshall, and four and a half miles NE of Market Drayton. Its parish is about six miles in length, and from one to two miles in breadth, extending along the borders of the counties of Salop and Stafford. Five of its townships, Aston, Knighton, Mucklestone, Oakley and Winnington being in Staffordshire and the other four, Bearston, Dorrington, Gravenhunger and Woore, in Shropshire. There are 879 inhabitants in Staffordshire and 809 in Salop, giving a total population of 1688, and the parish comprises 8120 acres, of which 4362 acres are in Staffordshire.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Mucklestone township contains about 1100 acres, mostly belonging to Lord Crewe, the lord of the manor, which was anciently held by the Tanes and the Morgans. The Morgans sold it in the reign of Elizabeth to Sir Thomas Offley, Knt, from whose descendants it passed to the first Lord Crewe.
Aston, a village and township, three and a half miles NNE of Mucklestone, and eight miles SW of Newcastle-under-Lyme, has 912 acres of land, mostly belonging to the Rev TB Lloyd, the lord of the manor, and partly to the Butler and Harding families.
Knighton is a small township, one mile SW of Aston, bounded on three sides by Shropshire. Sir JNL Chetwode and P Sillito, Esq, are the principal owners.
Oakley township at the south end of the parish, two miles SW of Mucklestone, contains Oakley Hall, the handsome seat of Sir John NL Chetwode, Bart, in a beautiful park of 300 acres, on the east bank of the Tearn rivulet, which here divides this county from Shropshire.
Winnington township, has a small village at the foot of a declivity, one mile N of Mucklestone. Hugo Charles Meynell Ingram, Esq, is the principal owner and lord of the manor."
The population of Mucklestone parish was as follows:
1831 -- 1854 (of which 964 were in Shropshire)
1841 -- 1688 (of which 809 were in Shropshire)
A surname index of the 1851 census for the Staffordshire part of Mucklestone Parish is included in the Newcastle under Lyme surname index to the 1851 census published by the Birmingham and Midland SGH.
"The Parish Church, St Mary, was rebuilt in 1789, except the tower, from which Queen Margaret viewed the defeat of her army at the battle of Blore Heath. The rectory is in the patronage of Lord Crewe's Trustees, and incumbency of the Rev Edward Hinchliffe, MA.
There is a Primitive Methodist chapel at Knighton, built in 1834."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Postcard of St Mary's Church (Interior view) c1903.
Church of England Registers
The parish register of the church of St Mary commences in 1555. The original registers for the period 1555-1861 (Bapts), 1555-1975 (Mar) & 1555-1921 (Bur), are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1674-1868 (with many gaps) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A printed transcript of the register for 1555-1701 (Part 1) was published by the Staffordshire Parish Register Society in 1929, and has been reprinted by the Birmingham & Midland SGH who have also published 1702-1812 (Part 2).
Mucklestone parish became part of Market Drayton Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 3rd May 2010, Mike Harbach. © 1998 - 2010]