Towns & Parishes
"Newborough, a village, township, and chapelry (to Hanbury parish), containing 742 souls and 2970 acres, is situated on the north west side of Needwood Forest, three miles SW of Hanbury, and eight miles W of Burton-upon-Trent. The village stands in a narrow dale, through which a small rivulet flows southward to the Trent. Holly Bush, a neat mansion, upon a fine eminence, is the seat of Thomas Kirkpatrick Hall, Esq, the principal owner of Newborough, which, in the 11th century, belonged to Robert, son of Henry de Ferrers. In the chapelry is HCM Ingram, Esq's manor of Agardsley, but Agardsley Park farm belongs to the Crown, and is leased to HK Hall, Esq. SC Pole, Esq, and several smaller owners, have estates here. Several of the inhabitants are employed in weaving linen and checks.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Thorney Lane is an ancient hamlet, one mile NW of Newborough, and about two and a half miles S of Newborough is Hoarcross, a hamlet partly in Hamstall Ridware and Newborough, but mostly in Yoxall parish."
Monumental Inscriptions for Newborough, All Saints have been transcribed and published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
The population of Newborough township was as follows:
1801 -- 440
1831 -- 930
1841 -- 742
"The chapel, dedicated to All Saints, is a neat whitewashed building, erected about a century ago, but it has no burial ground. In 1837 it was enlarged and repaired.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the vicar of Hanbury, and incumbency of the Rev. Hugh Bennett, MA, of Marchington.
Here is a small New Connexion Methodist Chapel, built in 1851"
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
The church of All Saints, Newborough, was a chapelry of Hanbury parish, details of which can be found on the Hanbury parish page.
Church of England Registers
The register of All Saints, commences in 1601. The original registers for the period 1601-1728, 1747-1811 & 1813-1899 (Bapts) & 1601-1699 & 1792-1834 (Mar), & Banns for the period 1861-1894 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1660-1844 (with many gaps) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A transcription of the section on Newborough from A Topographical History of Staffordshire by William Pitt (1817)
The chapelry became part of Uttoxeter Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 18th August 2014, Mike Harbach. © 1998 - 2014]