Towns & Parishes
"Newchapel, a straggling village, from two to three miles N of Tunstall, gives name to a chapelry district (of Wolstanton parish), comprising Thursfield township, Chell, Wedgewood, and parts of Stadmoreslow, and Brerehurst townships. "[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Newchapel formed a chapelry to Wolstanton parish and details can be found on the Wolstanton page.
"Newchapel Church, St James, formerly called Thursfield Chapel, is a neat brick fabric, which was rebuilt by subscription in 1766. The perpetual curacy is in the patronage of Ralph Sneyd, Esq, and others, and incumbency of the Rev Thurstan Forshaw."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Church of England Registers
The register of St James, Newchapel, commences in 1723. The original registers for the period 1723-1906 (Bapts), 1741-1754 & 1847-1910 (Mar) & 1724-1897 (Bur), and Banns for the period 1897-1964 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1726-1850 (with gaps 1731, 1763-65, 1783-1804, 1810-12 & 1846-54) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office. No marriages are listed in the BTs after 1755.
Nonconformist Church Registers
The original registers deposited at Stafforshire Record Office are indicated below:
Harriseahead, Newchapel, Wesleyan Methodist, Baptisms 1841-1962, Marriages 1911-1959
The Rookery, Newchapel, Methodist, Marriages 1938-1965
Whitehill, Newchapel, Wesleyan Methodist, Marriages 1925-1973
A map showing the pre-1850 boundaries of Newchapel Chapelry & Townships
Newchapel chapelry became part of Wolstanton & Burslem Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 28th July 2014, Mike Harbach. © 1999 - 2014]