Towns & Parishes
"Norbury is a small scattered village, near the Junction Canal, five miles SW by S of Eccleshall, and eleven miles E by S of Stafford. Its parish contains 5270 acres of land, and 353 inhabitants, viz, 170 in Norbury, 40 in Oulton, 50 in Loynton, and 93 in Weston Jones. The Earl of Lichfield is the principal owner, and lord of the manor of Norbury, which was formerly held succesively by the families of Kilpeck, Marmion, Butler, and Skrymsher, who had a moated mansion or castle in this neighbourhood, at the head of the 'Wild Moors', which formed a royal waste, extending from Knightley down to the rivers Tern and Severn, near Newport.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Loynton contains a few scattered houses, half a mile N of Norbury. It is all the property of Thomas Higgins Burne, Esq, who resides in the Hall, and to whom the estate descended from the Rev S Higgins, a late rector, together with the greater part of Weston Jones.
Oulton is a hamlet, in the township, and half a mile SW of Norbury.
Weston Jones is a small village and township, one mile W of Norbury, and four miles N of Newport. It belongs to TH Burne, Esq's, manor of Loynton, and he owns the whole of the soil, except 123 acres, belonging to Mr Richard Parton, of Weston Wood. Loynton is in Weston Jones township."
The population of Norbury parish was as follows:
1801 -- 361
1831 -- 370
1841 -- 353
"Norbury Church, St Peter, is a ancient stone edifice, except the tower, which is of brick, and was erected about 90 years ago. In the chancel are several monuments to the Skrymshers, one of whom was Adjutant-General to Prince Rupert, and standard bearer to the gentlemen pensioners of Charles II, and of whom here is a mutilated effigy.
The rectory is in the patronage of the Earl of Lichfield, and incumbency of the Rev TE Buckworth, MA.
A late rector, the Rev Sambroke Higgins, died in 1823, aged 89, after having held the benifice no fewer than 65 years."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
Church of England Registers
The registers of the parish church of St Peter commence in 1538. The original registers for the period 1538-1894 (Bapts), 1538-1836 (Mar) & 1538-1813 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts for the period 1673-1868 (with gaps 1676-79, 1854 & 1856) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A transcript of the parish register for the period 1538-1812 (Bapt & Bur) & 1538-1837 (Mar) has been published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
A transcription of the section on Norbury from A Topographical History of Staffordshire by William Pitt (1817)
Norbury parish became part of Newport Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 27th October 2014, Mike Harbach. © 1998 - 2014]