"Norton under Cannock, or Norton Canes, is a small village, seated on a gentle eminence, seven miles WSW of Lichfield, comprising within its parish the two manors of Norton and Little Wyrley, in which are 755 inhabitants, and 2613 acres of enclosed land, 120 acres of wood, and upwards of 1600 acres of the extensive heath called Cannock Chase. William Hanbury and Phineas Fowke Hussey, Esqrs, are joint lords of Norton and the latter is sole lord of Little Wyrley.
Brownhills, a scattered village and district in this parish, near the Wyrley and Essington Canal, and the Roman Watling Street, two miles SE of Norton, and five miles SW by W of Lichfield, has a station on the South Staffordshire Railway, near the south end of Cannock Chase, where there are extensive collieries, belonging to William Hanbury and William Harrison, Esqrs.
Little Wyrley is a manor and hamlet, of scattered farms and a few cottages, on the Pelsall road, one and a quarter miles SW of Norton Canes, and near Wyrley Bank. Wyrley Grove, the ancient seat of PF Hussey, Esq, was obtained by his family in marriage with the heiress of the family of Fowke."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]