Towns & Parishes
"Norton under Cannock, or Norton Canes, is a small village, seated on a gentle eminence, seven miles WSW of Lichfield, comprising within its parish the two manors of Norton and Little Wyrley, in which are 755 inhabitants, and 2613 acres of enclosed land, 120 acres of wood, and upwards of 1600 acres of the extensive heath called Cannock Chase. William Hanbury and Phineas Fowke Hussey, Esqrs, are joint lords of Norton and the latter is sole lord of Little Wyrley.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Brownhills, a scattered village and district in this parish, near the Wyrley and Essington Canal, and the Roman Watling Street, two miles SE of Norton, and five miles SW by W of Lichfield, has a station on the South Staffordshire Railway, near the south end of Cannock Chase, where there are extensive collieries, belonging to William Hanbury and William Harrison, Esqrs.
Little Wyrley is a manor and hamlet, of scattered farms and a few cottages, on the Pelsall road, one and a quarter miles SW of Norton Canes, and near Wyrley Bank. Wyrley Grove, the ancient seat of PF Hussey, Esq, was obtained by his family in marriage with the heiress of the family of Fowke."
The population of Norton under Cannock parish was as follows:
1801 -- 547
1831 -- 678
1841 -- 755
A surname index of the 1851 census of Norton under Cannock parish is included in the Staffordshire 1851 Census Surname index, Volume 12, Penkridge, published by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
"The Church, St James, is a neat Gothic structure, which was rebuilt in 1832. The benefice is a perpetual curacy in the patronage of the Bishop of Lichfield, and the
Rev William Blow Collis, MA, is the incumbent.
In Brownhills village is an Independent Chapel, built in 1820, and a Primitive Methodist Chapel, built in 1840."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
Church of England Registers
The register of the parish church of St James commences in 1567. The original registers for the period 1567-1903 (Bapts), 1567-1901 (Mar), & 1567-1907 (Bur) and Banns for the period 1822-1882 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1659-1859 (with gaps 1662-68, 1675-79, 1681-84, 1687-88, 1741-44, 1838, & 1846-47) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
The following nonconformist registers of Norton under Cannock parish are deposited at
Lichfield Joint Record Office (LJRO) or Staffordshire Record Office (SRO):
Mount Zion, Brownhills, Primitive Methodist, Baptisms 1837-1937 (LJRO).
Watling Street, Brownhills, Methodist, Baptisms 1932-1936 (LJRO).
Bethel Chapel, Norton Canes, Primitive Methodist, Marriages 1914-1943 (SRO).
A transcription of the section on Norton under Cannock from A Topographical History of Staffordshire by William Pitt (1817)
The parish became part of Penkridge Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 13th August 2014, Mike Harbach. © 1999 - 2014]