"Ogley Hay, at the south end of Cannock Chase, betwixt Brownhills and Hammerwich, is an extra-parochial district of 1070 acres, crossed by the Wyrley & Essington Canal, and the old Chester road, and bordering on the mining districts of Pelsall, Wyrley and Brownhills. It was an open and uncultivated heath, with only 24 inhabitants, till about 15 years ago, when an act of parliament was obtained for its enclosure, and since then has been divided into farms, gardens, etc, and bought into a fine state of cultivation.
Though it had only five houses twenty years ago, it now has about 100, and about 520 inhabitants, chiefly miners and farm labourers, but the large iron works erected here a few years ago, are at present closed. PF Hussey, Esq, was lord of its liberty before its enclosure, and the farmers of Hammerwich had commonright upon it, but it now belongs to many freeholders, the largest of whom are John Nicholson, Esq, of Liverpool, William Stubbs, Esq, William Middleton, Esq, and Messrs G & J Brawn."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]