Towns & Parishes
"Ogley Hay, at the south end of Cannock Chase, betwixt Brownhills and Hammerwich, is an extra-parochial district of 1070 acres, crossed by the Wyrley & Essington Canal, and the old Chester road, and bordering on the mining districts of Pelsall, Wyrley and Brownhills. It was an open and uncultivated heath, with only 24 inhabitants, till about 15 years ago, when an act of parliament was obtained for its enclosure, and since then has been divided into farms, gardens, etc, and bought into a fine state of cultivation.[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Though it had only five houses twenty years ago, it now has about 100, and about 520 inhabitants, chiefly miners and farm labourers, but the large iron works erected here a few years ago, are at present closed. PF Hussey, Esq, was lord of its liberty before its enclosure, and the farmers of Hammerwich had commonright upon it, but it now belongs to many freeholders, the largest of whom are John Nicholson, Esq, of Liverpool, William Stubbs, Esq, William Middleton, Esq, and Messrs G & J Brawn."
The population of Ogley Hay extra-parochial district was as follows:
1801 -- 8
1831 -- 24
1841 -- 222
"The Church, St James, was built here in 1850-1 and is a small Cruciform structure, in the early Decorated style, with a chancel and nave, without aisles, terminated at the west end by a handsome bell turret, crowned by a small spire.
The ecclesiastical district about to be annexed to it, comprises Ogley Hay and the adjoining parts of neighbouring parishes, embracing about 100 souls, who are nearly three miles from any other church."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
Church of England Registers
The register of the church of St James commences in 1840. The original registers for the period 1840-1973 (Bapts), 1854-1972 (Mar) & 1878-1914 (Bur) are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Ogley Hay baptisms for the period 1840-1849 are included in the St John, Walsall Wood register deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
A map showing the pre-1850 boundaries of Ogley Hay Extra-Parochial District
Ogley Hay extra-parochial district became part of Lichfield Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
[Last updated: 4th May 2012, Mike Harbach. © 1999 - 2012]